At Granite State College, we work to integrate your academic experience with your career goals. We achieve this in two primary ways:
Meet with a Certified Career Counselor for an individual advising session. Learn how to use self-assessment tools to reveal the types of work environments and careers that are best suited for you.
Learn about available internships, practicums and capstone courses that are part of your degree program and connected to your career goals.
CAREER SERVICES NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Lunchtime Phone Appointments
Don't have time to meet with Career Services during your busy workday? Schedule a lunch break phone conversation instead and get a head start on your next career move. Use the Request an Appointment link to the right to set up your appointment today.
Work Experience Program
Looking for a way to develop new, on-the-job skills that you’ll need in your desired career? We can help! Our Career Services Work Experience program connects you to projects within an administrative department at Granite State College that needs extra support.
In these paid positions available to all (regardless of whether or not you qualify for Federal Work Study funds), you’ll be able to learn new, employer-friendly skills and gain experience that you can add to your resume. Past participants have been able to land new, exciting job opportunities. Please view our Work Experience Program flyer or contact Career Services for more information.
Our Latest Tips and Advice:
- How to Prepare for your Phone Interview
- How to Ask for a Professional Reference
- 6 Ways to Build your Work Experience and Skills
- Career Fairs 101
- Your Career Counselor: Do Credentials Matter?
- Tips for Acing Your Next Interview
- Career Good Karma
- 12 Steps to Optimizing Your LinkedIn Profile
- Future Focused: Resume Writing for Career Changers
- Seeking Job Satisfaction? Find your Work Values
- 4 Career Boosting Activities to Complete While Earning Your Degree
- 5 Steps to an Impactful Cover Letter
- Great Resume Writing Starts Here: The Do's and Don'ts
- 5 Steps to Finding Work You'll Love: Career Planning Tips
- A Key That Opens a Specific Door: Customize that Resume!
- Using Social Media to Benefit Your Job Search
- Why YOU Need Career Services
Did you know that the College offers events, info sessions, workshops, lecture series and more? Check out our events calendar to keep up to date on in-person and virtual events at GSC.
Virtual LinkedIn Workshop
Job seekers, in today’s online world a LinkedIn profile is a must! Employers are using LinkedIn as a screening tool to review applicant’s online presence. An updated, professional profile will help you make a great first impression.
- Why you need to have a profile
- What to include in each section of your profile
- How to add skills, education, volunteer experience, courses etc.
- How to use your profile as a digital portfolio using various media
- How to “brand” yourself as a professional with your photos and headline
- How to follow influencers, join groups and connect/network with others on LinkedIn
Virtual Resume and Cover Letter Workshop
Learn how to format and write a resume and cover letter that will get results!
You’ll Learn How To:
- Format two different resume styles and learn when to use each
- Use action words to describe your skills and accomplishments
- Techniques to tailor your resume and cover letter for each position
Career Exploration in Homeland Security
August 7, 2018 | 4:00 - 5:00 PM | Concord and Virtual
Join us to learn about the growing field of Public Safety.
Homeland Security/Federal Law Enforcement employees help secure our borders, airports, seaports and waterways and play an important role in responding to natural disasters and terrorist attacks.
Join our Career Services team and Public Safety professionals and position yourself for success.
- The various roles and their day to day activities for a variety of Homeland Security and ICE positions
- How to gain the experience you need
- Current open positions
Career Exploration in Management Info Session
September 25, 2018 | 4:00 - 5:00 PM | Portsmouth and Virtual
Join us in Portsmouth or online to learn about management.
Every business needs competent managers to set objectives, assign tasks, communicate with staff, and organize and prioritize workflow.
Join Career Services and management professionals to learn how to position yourself for success.
- Career progression/success stories
- Roles and responsibilities, including a “day in the life”
- The education and skills needed and how you can gain experience
- Resume, interview, and hiring tips
Granite State College is committed to helping you advance in your chosen field. The college offers a variety of resources to assist in career development, including:
- General Career Counseling
- Career Assessments
- Networking and Social Media
- Educational Major Decision Making
- Resume and Cover Letter Review
- Job Search Tips
- Mock Interviews/Interview Prep
- Occupational Research
- Grad School Decisions
- Career Planning and Goal Setting
Find a list of helpful online tools from career assessments and advice, to portfolio and resume builders, to occupational research and job search links.
Find a list of employer-direct job opportunities, internships, hiring events and more.
CAREER DEVELOPMENT AND LIFE PLANNING (APST 505)
This two-credit course, appropriate for all degree programs, addresses the particular concerns of adults at various stages of career development. Students will discover the conditions that guide career planning decisions and give shape to individual careers. Topics covered include interest and skill assessment, job search skills and resume development.
Internships, practicums, and integrative capstone courses integrate your coursework with your career.
Whether your program requires one of these courses, or if you’re simply interested in enriching your academic experience, Granite State College is excited to help you explore these options.
Reach out to your advisor or contact the Experiential Learning Manager in Academic Affairs for more information.