At Granite State College, we work to integrate your academic experience with your career goals. We achieve this in two primary ways:
Meet with a Certified Career Counselor for an individual advising session. Learn how to use self-assessment tools to reveal the types of work environments and careers that are best suited for you.
Learn about available internships, practicums and capstone courses that are part of your degree program and connected to your career goals.
CAREER SERVICES NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
Lunchtime Phone Appointments
Don't have time to meet with Career Services during your busy workday? Schedule a lunch break phone conversation instead and get a head start on your next career move. Use the Request an Appointment link to the right to set up your appointment today.
Our Latest Tips and Advice:
- 6 Ways to Build your Work Experience and Skills
- Career Fairs 101
- Your Career Counselor: Do Credentials Matter?
- Tips for Acing Your Next Interview
- Career Good Karma
- 12 Steps to Optimizing Your LinkedIn Profile
- Future Focused: Resume Writing for Career Changers
- Seeking Job Satisfaction? Find your Work Values
- 4 Career Boosting Activities to Complete While Earning Your Degree
- 5 Steps to an Impactful Cover Letter
- Great Resume Writing Starts Here: The Do's and Don'ts
- 5 Steps to Finding Work You'll Love: Career Planning Tips
- A Key That Opens a Specific Door: Customize that Resume!
- Using Social Media to Benefit Your Job Search
- Why YOU Need Career Services
Did you know that the College offers events, info sessions, workshops, lecture series and more? Check out our events calendar to keep up to date on in-person and virtual events at GSC.
Students! Build or Transition your Career by Working for Granite State in our Work Experience Program
Monday, April 30 | 4:00 - 5:00 PM | Rochester and Virtual
Looking for a way to develop new, on-the-job skills that you’ll need in your desired career? We can help! Our Career Services Work Study/Work Experience program connects you to projects within an administrative department at Granite State College that needs extra support.
In these part-time paid positions available to all (regardless of whether or not you qualify for Federal Work Study funds), you’ll learn new, employer-friendly skills and gain experience that you can add to your resume. Past participants have been able to land new, exciting job opportunities and we can’t wait to help you, too!
Whether you’re looking to gain experience with marketing, event planning, IT, data/analytics, or basic office skills, we can help you build or transition your career by gaining relevant and recent experience for your resume. In addition, you’ll gain an excellent reference from your supervisor!
Virtual Resume and Cover Letter Workshop
Thursday, May 3, 2018 | 4:00 - 5:00 PM | Virtual/Web Conference
Learn how to format and write a resume and cover letter that will get results!
You’ll Learn How To:
- Format two different resume styles and learn when to use each
- Use action words to describe your skills and accomplishments
- Customize various elements in your cover letter for each position
- Techniques to tailor your resume and cover letter for each position
Career Exploration in Marketing, Communications and Digital Media Info Session
Wednesday, June 6, 2018 | 4:00 - 5:00 PM | Conway and Virtual
Join us at our Conway campus or online to learn about the wide range of careers available in marketing, communications an ditigal media.
Career Exploration in Human Resources Info Session
Wednesday, June 13 | 4:00 - 5:00 PM | Concord & Virtual
Join us in Concord or online to learn about the growing field of Human Resources. From employee and organizational development to employee relations, hiring, and retention, HR managers are key to company culture.
Join Career Services and HR professionals to learn about how to position yourself for success.
Virtual LinkedIn Workshop
Thursday, June 21 | Virtual
Job seekers, in today’s online world a LinkedIn profile is a must! Employers are using LinkedIn as a screening tool to review applicant’s online presence. An updated, professional profile will help you make a great first impression.
- Why you need to have a profile
- What to include in each section of your profile
- How to add skills, education, volunteer experience, courses etc.
- How to use your profile as a digital portfolio using various media
- How to “brand” yourself as a professional with your photos and headline
- How to follow influencers, join groups and connect/network with others on LinkedIn
INDIVIDUAL CAREER ADVISING APPOINTMENTS
Granite State College is committed to helping you advance in your chosen field. The college offers a variety of resources to assist in career development, including:
- General Career Counseling
- Career Assessments
- Networking and Social Media
- Educational Major Decision Making
- Resume and Cover Letter Review
- Job Search Tips
- Mock Interviews/Interview Prep
- Occupational Research
- Grad School Decisions
- Career Planning and Goal Setting
Find a list of helpful online tools from career assessments and advice, to portfolio and resume builders, to occupational research and job search links.
Find a list of employer-direct job opportunities, internships, hiring events and more.
CAREER DEVELOPMENT AND LIFE PLANNING (APST 505)
This two-credit course, appropriate for all degree programs, addresses the particular concerns of adults at various stages of career development. Students will discover the conditions that guide career planning decisions and give shape to individual careers. Topics covered include interest and skill assessment, job search skills and resume development.
Internships, practicums, and integrative capstone courses integrate your coursework with your career.
Whether your program requires one of these courses, or if you’re simply interested in enriching your academic experience, Granite State College is excited to help you explore these options.
Reach out to your advisor or contact the Experiential Learning Manager in Academic Affairs for more information.