Field-Based Experiential Learning
What it is
Field-Based Experiential Learning (FBEL) offers you an opportunity to apply theory to practice in real-world workplace or clinical settings. You move out of the ‘classroom' to guided learning through direct experience in your field of study.
This type of learning requires advance planning. Your supports include advisor and faculty guidance for finding a Host Partner site, building a learning plan, and problem-solving throughout your field experience.
What’s in it for You
Students who engage in Field-Based Experiential Learning are more successful in both their academic program and their Career Development Path.
Practicum and Internship courses are noted on your Granite State College transcript. These and other FBEL experiences when highlighted in your Resume help you stand out among other job seekers.
FBEL proposals are submitted through College Central Network.
Get Started, Click logo below:
- See Course Schedule for proposal deadlines
- Field-Based Experiential Learning Guidelines for Students, Host Partners, and Faculty are available in the College Central site in the Library
Types of opportunities at GSC
Course Embedded assignment or activity:
- Field project, case study, interviews, observations and job shadowing
Placement at a Host Partner field site:
- Practicum 25 hours: lower level exploration of topic, discipline, or occupations; may be a course but is less than an academic term in duration
- Internship 80 hours: higher level after student has foundation in topic or career area; longer experience up to an academic term in duration
- School of Education: Educator Preparation clinical and culminating field experiences
- See the SOE Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Handbook for details.
- Integrative Capstone: culminating experience that demonstrates student learning upon completion of all other courses; integrates the concepts, outcomes and knowledge gained through duration of the degree program.
- Field-Based Capstone options include: Internship (80 hours), Project, or Research
Some Internships may include paid compensation
...AND you may be able to plan a FBEL at your workplace IF the learning experience activities are documented as completely distinct from your job duties.
Resources accessed through College Central Network (CCN) include:
- FBEL Guidelines & Required Documents
- Host Site Database and FBEL search
- FBEL Proposal Worksheet
- Preparation videos, podcasts, articles and advice documents
Experiential Learning Manager
Granite State College
25 Hall Street
Concord, NH 03301
603 513 1397
888 228 3000