What it is
Field-Based Experiential Learning provides you an opportunity to apply theory to practice in real-world workplace or clinical settings. You move out of the ‘classroom' to guided learning through direct experience in your field of study.
You’ll find this type of learning includes advisor and faculty guidance for finding a site, building a learning plan, and problem-solving throughout your field experience.
Types of opportunities at GSC
- Course Embedded assignment or activity
- field project, case study, interviews, observations and job shadowing
- Practicum 25 hours: lower level exploration of topic, discipline, or occupations; may be a course but is less than an academic term in duration
- Internship 80 hours: higher level after student has foundation in topic or career area; longer experience up to an academic term in duration
- School of Education: Educator Preparation clinical and culminating field experiences
- See the SOE Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Handbook for details.
- Integrative Capstone: culminating experience that demonstrates student learning upon completion of all other courses; integrates the concepts, outcomes and knowledge gained through duration of the degree program.
Field-Based Options include: Internship (80 hours), Project, or Research
What’s in it for You
Students who engage in Field-Based Experiential Learning are more successful in both their academic program and their Career Development Path.
Practicum and Intership courses are noted on your Granite State College transcript. These and other field-based learning experiences when highlighted in your Resume help you stand out among other job seekers.
Find, plan, and confirm a Field-Based Experiential Learning opportunity by clicking below:
Some Internships may include paid compensation.
...AND you may be able to plan a Field-Based Learning experience at your workplace IF the learning experience activities are documented as completely distinct from your job duties.
Resources accessed through College Central Network (CCN) include:
Partner Site Database
F-B Learning Guidelines, Planning Tools & Required Documents
Job preparation videos, podcasts, articles and advice documents
GSC Career Planning enhancements
Leslie B. Paul
Experiential Learning Manager
Granite State College
25 Hall Street
Concord, NH 03301
603 513 1397
888 228 3000